Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Needle Case... Finished!

The needle case is FINISHED! I decided to follow the McCall's pattern pretty much as it was, though I did shorten the length by about 3" to better accommodate my 9" bamboo needles. Finished size: 5½" x 13", closed; fully opened: 15" x 18".



The body of the case is done with a golden brown Dupioni silk, the front contrasting band and ties, along with the inner pocket is a multi-hued brocade. It's lined with a lightweight fleece to give it body and greater protection for the needles.



The only difficulty was the infernal unraveling of the silk edges and the brocade as well (pesky fabrics)!, which I solved by overcasting all edges after stitching the outer seams...Overall, I'm very pleased with the result, and future ones will be of my own patterning to include pockets for circulars and such...



It's such a great feeling to complete a project!! :)

EDIT: I had originally used one tie with a dot of velcro to close but didn't like the asymmetrical look of it, so I made another tie and closed with a simple knot. Much better!