Sunday, January 21, 2007

Knitcentricities

I have a few "knitcentricities", do you?


  • I can't knit without a ring on my right ring finger, to help keep the yarn wound over that finger for proper tension; just as I could never crochet without a ring on the ring finger of my left hand. Without the ring in place, the yarn always slides up my finger, usually falling off at some point!

  • My favorite place to knit is sitting cross-legged on my bed, (usually with both cats curled up on either side of me and my dog at my feet)! I try to knit sitting on the sofa, but it's just not comfortable and I always end up back on my bed.

  • I always listen to music when I knit, and the music runs the gamut from classics, to Beatles, to Jacques Brel, to Broadway musical scores. I have a selection of all my favorites and set it to random on my iPod so that each song is a surprise. (I guess it is a bit strange to go from Concerto for Violin Op. 61 to Yellow Submarine in the space of a minute! LOL

  • I love coffee but for some reason when I sit down to knit or to read, tea is the only thing I can even think of having.


I had a fun day today. In spite of the bitter cold, I finally made it to the yarn shop (with the gift certificate that I'd received on Christmas burning a hole in my pocket)! I didn't have any particular purchase in mind, so I drifted and browsed and eventually made my way up to the sale loft (where I happily discovered that during the month of January everything up there was 40% off)!... There I found two beautiful balls of Jaeger 100% silk 4-ply in a soft silvery green, and 5 balls of a soft fur type yarn which feels just like angora, On Line Linie 67, Como in a soft sage green. I guess that tells you that green is my favorite color!

I resisted the impulse to start on a new project with one of the two yarns, instead working for awhile on the blueberry scarf (which I'm happy to say is nearly finished); and then I spent a few hours after dinner to finish my latest book Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette, by Sena Jeter Naslund. Next will be a book I just ordered online which should be delivered this coming Monday, Great Tales from English History: The Truth About King Arthur, Lady Godiva, Richard the Lionheart, and More, by Robert Lacey. This is more my cup of tea, so I'm really looking forward to getting it in my hands!

4:20am and I must be off to bed. Eeek, the game tomorrow!: go Pats!! (and gstq2002's Bears)!!

PS: Donna, I did get on my treadmill yesterday, and Friday too! I'm being very good! ;)