Friday, January 5, 2007

Where's Winter?

The weather here in New England is more like spring than winter. Most people, I'm sure, are thrilled at the lack of snow, and frost on the windowpanes, but this unseasonal warmth has me feeling unsettled and uncomfortable. Winter is my favorite season, and snow is one of my favorite things, so I'm saddened at finding a ladybug (a ladybug!! ..in January!!), tracking a slow progress across my window. The grass is an unseasonal green; and if it weren't for the bare trees I'd swear it was late May!

I think that Northerners, who have lived all of our lives in a climate that feels all the extremes of each season, have an internal thermostat which must be utterly thrown off-kilter without regular snowstorms and wintry Canadian blasts, the norm at this time of year.

I have yet to wear a coat. Each trip outside is in a sweater and jeans; my gloves and scarves haven't been worn since last winter!

I can only hope for snow... a few feet of it would be nice! ...and soon!