Thursday, December 7, 2006

Peripheral Blur

New glasses are gorgeous! ...but getting used to them, another matter. I'm one of those rare birds who are both farsighted and nearsighted, which had always meant two pairs of glasses, one for distance, one for reading. My eye doctor felt the best way to have the best of both worlds would be "progressive" lenses, and so that is what I have.

Looking at my heretofore very flat monitor screen, it now looks as though the center of the screen is at the bottom of a shallow bowl, with the edges gradually sloping up towards me. If I look to either side through the sides of my lenses, it seems that I'm looking through a slight veil of water! If I look down too quickly, I feel a bit nauseous, and the blurriness of my peripheral vision is going to be a real pain to get used to. But get used to them I will, as the nice lady at the vision center assured me I would (she couldn't live without her progressives, or so she says)!

I'm off to my art class, new specs in tow. -O-O-