Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Hooray For Finished Objects!

I've found a few moments to post the photos of the last few finished projects. A welcome break, I've been cleaning since 8 this morning!

First, the little Manteau Gari.



I was so happy to have that one completed!

The little kimono sweater and bonnet, I was happy to hear, has been chosen as part of the baby's coming home outfit. :) The pattern for the kimono is from Simple Knits for Cherished Babies by Erika Knight, but I made many changes and sort of made it my own. The pattern called for straight garter stitch, but I thought the angora would be shown off better with stockinette so that's what I did. I also had to adjust the stitch counts throughout, to account for the thicker yarn I was using and larger size needles. There are only a few people in the world more mathematically challenged than I am, so my knitting notebook is just filled with calculations to rival any jottings of Einstein! lol I also did the first five rows of back and front sides in garter stitch to prevent curling. Here's the result:



As I'd mentioned in my last post, I searched for a bonnet to match the kimono, and the mom-to-be had requested a ruffle around the front. I couldn't find a pattern that worked so I wrote my own. Also done in stockinette st., the bottom edge and front were worked in a few rows of garter st and the ruffle is crocheted. If anyone would like the pattern, please drop me a line (MarDi.xpress@gmail.com) and I'll be happy to post it here. The bonnet, kindly held for the photographer by a very friendly flop-earred Easter bunny:



The ribbon is attached with a pretty little flower, centered with pearls. I thought it gave it a nice touch. The yarn used for both kimono and bonnet is 70% French angora/30% merino wool by "Jolie", and size 7 (US) needles were used. I had a real problem stitching the seams together because I used mattress stitch and when I pulled the yarn to tighten the stitches together the angora just pulled apart like wet tissue! I solved the problem by using regular white sewing thread, doubled. Strong and invisible...

I thought I'd include one more pic, of a set that I crocheted for the baby last summer when I first learned that she was on the way! I've crocheted for years, and made several sweaters and blankets in crochet before I taught myself to knit last fall. This is a little side-buttoned jacket and beret, and I can't for the life of me remember where I got the pattern or what yarn I used!



Hope everyone's having a great Tuesday!